Interesting Facts About Gold
By Eko Prihartono16 NOV 2016
Interesting Facts About Gold
- Gold is most ductile of all elements. A single gram of gold can be stretched 165 metres long with diameter of human hair.
- Gold is one of the most dense elements. A billiard ball made of gold will weight the same as a baseball made of lead.
- The world's largest gold bar weighs 250 kg.
- The largest gold coin in the world is the 1 tonne Australian Kangaroo and is issuedas Australian legal tender with denomination of 1 million Australian dollars.
- The world’s largest solid-gold-object is the 5-tonne Golden Buddha in Wat Traimit Temple in Bangkok, Thailand. The statue is 3.9m tall and 3.1m across made of 9 pieces of ranging 40% – 99% fine fold, with a weight of 5.5 tonnes.
- Elvis Presley owned three cars manufactured by Stutz Motor Company, in which every part that is normally chrome was converted to gold
- Gold can be used in skyscrapper windows to reduce both heat and UV from sunlight. Each of the 14.000 panes of glass in The Royal Bank Plaza in Toronto Canda contains 5 grams of 24 karat gold or worth over $2.7million in total. As used in astronaut's helmet visor.
- The term karat derived from Arabic qirat or carob bean, where once used by gold sellers to balance their scales.
- A more than 800-year-old copy of the Muslim holy book, the Koran, sold for a world record price of $2,321,770 at an auction in London. Written in 1203, the religious artifact is the earliest-known complete, dated Quran, transcribed in gold
- Switzerland was the last country whose currency was tied to gold. 40% of a Swiss Franc was backed by gold until Switzerland joined the IMF in 1999
- More gold is recoverable from a ton of personal computers than from 17 tons of gold ore
- Olympic gold medals were pure gold until 1912. Nowadays, it only contains 1.34% of gold.
- Aurophobia is the fear of gold
- Our bodies contain about 0.2 milligrams of gold, most of it in our blood
- The Federal Reserve Bank of New York holds the world's largest accumulation of monetary gold. The vault is 25 meters (80 feet) beneath the street and holds $147 billion worth of gold bullion. The bedrock of Manhattan is strong enough to support the weight of the vault, its d
- The world’s first gold vending machine was unveiled in May 2010. Located in an ultra-luxury hotel in Abu Dhabi, the vending machine itself is covered in 24-carat gold
- Some sufferers of rheumatoid arthritis receive injections of gold to relieve pain
- If goose did lay a golden egg, it would weight almost 2.9 kg or worth near $115.000
- Gold is edible even it tasteless. Pure gold is chemically inert and passes through the human digestive system without being absorbed into the body.
- Gold is used in photography to produce toners that have rich color and stability.
- According to a new study, earthquakes turn water into gold due to "flash vaporization”.
- The Aztec believed that gold was made by the gods, indicated by their word for it, which translates as 'god poop.'
Nuning Septi Wahyuningtyas